[Bay Bridge, July 2012.]
Nearly mid-summer. How is that even possible? We had thought to have a party at the end of the month to celebrate such, but I called uncle because I am worn. out. and while I dearly love to host a party – especially with berry-infused cocktails and farmers’ market-inspired nibblies – I found myself trying to drum up enthusiasm with little success. And that’s no way to throw a party. So. Maybe in the fall, for Indian Summer.
Change looms on the horizon. I am hoisting my sails. In the meantime, I thought I should throw myself as fully as possible into summer for we’re almost a month in and I don’t want to waste it. Henceforth, a list of things in which I’d like to indulge before October, with a few pie-in-the-sky ideas just for fun.
- Run. A lot.
- Swim in Tomales Bay a few times. Also, the San Francisco Bay (eep. Finally.). Maybe also the annual Inverness Community Swim?
- Canoe on the Russian River
- (Maybe kayak somewhere, too.)
- Yosemite. Backpacking. It’s on.
- Eat lots of soft-serve ice cream.
- Work on my tan.
- Bake a cherry pie.
- Make strawberry gin fizzes (note: tonight!).
- Sit in my parents’ backyard with the neighbors’ cats and a big stack of books.
- Swim in the Atlantic Ocean.
- Drink wine with my cousin in Vermont and hike the green hills.
- Don’t let work get me too down.
- Learn to surf.
- Cold-brew coffee.
- Make sun tea!
- Eat raw for one week (ps: ha!).
- Run out to Wildcat Beach and back, about 13 miles (see also: ha! But it’s a long-held ambition of mine.).
- Happy hour at the Cliff House for old times’ sake.
- Recipe test like it’s my job (and, perhaps, it should be).
- Have a few dinner parties.
To that end, one will occur tonight.
Strawberry gin fizzes (+ nonalcoholic iteration)
Basil lemonade (with gin and without)
White bean dip
Roast chicken with tomatoes and lemon
Couscous with vegetables and chickpeas
Caramel cake + raspberries
Moroccan mint tea
Happy Friday + Bastille Day tomorrow.